The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Druids and Avebury Reburial - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Druids and Avebury Reburial (/showthread.php?tid=1272)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Oddie - 26th February 2009

Hi folks.

While burials are protected by many (but not all) loam, the process of exhumation sets decay in process much more quickly than would occur otherwise. Archaeology is indeed destructive but should not, of course, be dismissed. Rescue does much good work, but Charlie and our Kennet Avenue ancestors were not ?rescued? out of necessity.

As a Druid of various orders, it is my belief that the wishes of the ancestors is a respectful reburial.

Taliesin said... ?You may gather from my user name that I have some sympathy with the pagan position. Yet, I have never and can never claim to speak for the dead from many millennia ago. We have about as much knowledge of their belief system as a we do of life on exo-planets. I appreciate this may be seen as trolling or being deliberately argumentative, but the CoBDO speaks only for itself and their beliefs. The appropriation of the long dead and their assumed beliefs by the CoBDO is nothing more than cultural theft??

If alternative world views are not fully considered in the science of archaeology, cultural theft may be said to then occur. Taking without considering ancestor, ancestral landscape and pilgrim is simply not acceptable anymore. Science is one world view that should balance with other world views. No one has the right to dictate. We do not dictate, only present a different world view. I speak for the ancestors. If others wish to, that?s fine. We are the ancestors reborn, and the discussion branches into both science, spirituality and the, so far unconsidered ethics of these matters. To say I?m culturally stealing when the dead are unearthed and displayed is spiritual poverty. Other sites have also accussed me of being fluffy and new age. Not true. The ancestors are nothing to do with care bears or putting cotton sheets over the faces of mummies, but ill-considered and blinkered science is everything to with Indiana Jones. It is disingenuous ? a spiritual poverty.

Wile I believe peoples instinctual reactions to the suggestion of reburial is positive, I agree that many Pagans will disagree. The heart and the mind battle against ethics and the never-ending quest for the truth of knowledge. Everything becomes more complicated when spiritualites divide into a) those with a focus rooted deeply in nature, b) a spirituality rooted in textual myth and history, c) spirituality focussed in the collective uncouncious d) a mixture of all these things. No wonder many Pagans and Druids seem unable to make a clear choice for reburial or retention. Classic example is HADs response where a) the exec seem to favour reburial, but they vote for retention because we don?t have a manadate amid the broader community ? which wasn?t a question on the consultation. Remember folks ? we suggest reburial and ask people to agree or disagree.

Sorry everyone, I?m ranting again. Tmsarch ? you?re not dumb, I?m the one who left school with 5 cse?s. Odd eh?

Oddie

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Arddhu - 26th February 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Digitaldigging

An additional point - seeing as temporal matters may or may not concern the dead, and all bones, including our currently flesh-covered ones, will perish when the sun expands in 4 billion years time, isn't the waiting game the safest option?

I think that all depends whether or not you believe that life and our conscious awareness of it, exists only on this little planet and solar-system, or whether it continues in the cycle on to the next reality, universe or timespan etc!!

Druids and Avebury Reburial - BAJR Host - 26th February 2009

Enough druid stuff already! I am away for a day... I would love to see a druid free board during that time thanks

?When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend.?
William Blake

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Digitaldigging - 26th February 2009

"4 billion years?- what makes you think we have that long left?"
According to this we've got even longer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1749389.stm

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Paul Belford - 26th February 2009

Oh thank god for that - an extra 200 million years and I might get this damn report finished!

Paul Belford

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Oddie - 27th February 2009

"4 billion years?- what makes you think we have that long left?"
According to this we've got even longer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1749389.stm

Time enough to prepare the graves for the bodies of our exhumed family embers, in the way their tribal families wished to commemorate them then!

Off to change me oil on me narrowbaot now.

O

Oddie

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Arddhu - 2nd March 2009

Continuing on from my hypothesis that our long dead ancestors mortal remains are as ever present and meaningful to us as they ever where through what is sometimes termed 'universal-connectivity' Take a look at this link to a thread which may be able to explain a little better than I may, It will hopefully make you think a bit more 'out side the Box' that most comfortably live in!

http://forums.di.fm/outer-space-and-the-universe/more-than-one-universe-133933/

Arddhu /|\

Druids and Avebury Reburial - BAJR Host - 3rd March 2009

Glad to say that I already am quite happy outside the box, so thanks for suggesting I need to.

One wonders, who is where... who is indeed in a predefined, immovable, fixed idea box?

?When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend.?
William Blake

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Arddhu - 3rd March 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by BAJR Host

Glad to say that I already am quite happy outside the box, so thanks for suggesting I need to.

Think you may have taken that comment a bit personal Host, it was not intended to be and was a generalization from my observation of most peoples view of the world and universe around them! and the general consensus among scientists in the field to practice Subject-Object Based Metaphysics,
see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subject_Object_Metaphysics

Quote:quote:Originally posted by BAJR Host

One wonders, who is where... who is indeed in a predefined, immovable, fixed idea box?

I think you need to explain that a little more for me to comment

Druids and Avebury Reburial - BAJR Host - 3rd March 2009

Could be a bit touchy today... seems like it is a problem I have recently.. so no offence meant Wink

We all have ideas at parameters we fit into... and people who do not fit into 'our' ideas are seen as those that need to think outside thier box, without thinking that perhaps the converse is true

William Blake