The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Druids and Avebury Reburial - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Druids and Avebury Reburial (/showthread.php?tid=1272)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Druids and Avebury Reburial - troll - 3rd July 2009

Any chance of a coherent response? Reasonably fair question I thought...

This thread has turned out to be one of the largest and most visited for a while and, its aired a goodly few perceptions on an important issue for all of us. It would be a shame to see it descend into a one-line competition in pubescence...

Come on guys, this was interesting once! Big Grin

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)

Druids and Avebury Reburial - trowelmonkey - 3rd July 2009

Sadly, I think the conversation died within the first few pages. It would be a shame for this thread to be solely reduced to baiting as the pagan community is very wide and this thread is watched and not just by Pagans for Archaeology:

http://wildhunt.org/blog/?s=bajr

So, to further conversation...Did anyone on here attend the Pagans and Archaeology conference? I had a hankering to go but finances did not permit.

Druids and Avebury Reburial - amiable drudge - 5th July 2009

well, cutting and pasting presents this, my post from the 'archaeology in the news' thread, hope that's provocative enough for you:

quote:Originally posted by Dirty Dave Lincoln

And with all due respect to you weegie-how can it be enough when the debate is still ongoing?
Human remains are human remains at the end of the day and ALL should be treated with respect regardless of creed/colour/religion etc.

a logically untenable position. what about people who will their bodies for medical research? do they, at the moment of death, suddenly become your sacred 'human remains' and so out of reach of those godless medical students? donated organs? "sorry, i know you've only got a week to live, and we did have a new liver, a perfect tissue match, but it's been re-classified as Human Remains, so we've got to respectfully chuck it into a hole in the ground. hope that's some comfort to you and your family over the next few days...."
remains, Dirty Dave, are remains, bones are bones.
with the greatest respect, get a grip.

the one line competition in pubescence seems to be sidetracked on the 'sexy archaeology' thread.

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Oddie - 19th July 2009

The thread has indeed died.

Comments past page 13 have side-tracked to issues unrelated to our original request for the reburial of several prehistoric ancestors from the avebury complex that are of interest to pilgrims and visitors to the site and museum.

Issues relating to other ancestral remains at other sites should obviously be considered on a case by case basis, and not through this request. In this way, Council's request for reburial sets a precedent for Avebury (and possible Stonehenge), but not any other part of this ancestral Earth.

Paul Davies /|\
Reburial Officer
Council of British Druid Orders

Peace and love and light to this Earth, womb of the ancestors from which we are re-born

Oddie

Druids and Avebury Reburial - BAJR Host - 20th July 2009

Read what other Pagans and Archaeologists say..

http://archaeopagans.blogspot.com/2009/07/arthurs-protest.html

my personal faves are..

I never noted for COBODO or ODDBINS

and

You are not King Arthur or you would be fighting to keep the English away from Stonehenge.. Smile

Some very good discussion there...

Another one is about respect.. and they are right, Osteologists can and do treat bones with respect!

Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position.
Mohandas Gandhi

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Oddie - 20th July 2009

The archaeopagan website site is notorious for its ignorance and back-stabbing black politics.

Oddie

Druids and Avebury Reburial - Talisien - 20th July 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Oddie

The archaeopagan website site is notorious for its ignorance and back-stabbing black politics.

Oddie

Human sacrifice? How appropriateBig Grin

Druids and Avebury Reburial - trowelmonkey - 20th July 2009

DIE, INTERMINABLY}Smile CIRCULAR THREAD, DIE!

Druids and Avebury Reburial - BAJR Host - 20th July 2009

You cannot kill what does not live/exist

I would bury it, but then I might be accused of disrespect

If I agree I am fine.. If I do not agree I am evil..

}Smile

Roll on BAJR Federation!

Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position.
Mohandas Gandhi

Druids and Avebury Reburial - oldgirl - 21st July 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Oddie

The thread has indeed died.

Comments past page 13 have side-tracked to issues unrelated to our original request for the reburial of several prehistoric ancestors from the avebury complex that are of interest to pilgrims and visitors to the site and museum.

Issues relating to other ancestral remains at other sites should obviously be considered on a case by case basis, and not through this request. In this way, Council's request for reburial sets a precedent for Avebury (and possible Stonehenge), but not any other part of this ancestral Earth.

Paul Davies /|\
Reburial Officer
Council of British Druid Orders

Peace and love and light to this Earth, womb of the ancestors from which we are re-born

Oddie

I agree that the 'remains' are of interest to a number of people. Many of those people have different ideas of what should be done, most are likely to have an equal level of physical relationship (given the age of the remains)and so therefore have an equal say in law.

The proposal to rebury the remains means that the wishes of all the people who do NOT wish to see them reburied would be overridden by those who did wish that. It would also mean that these remains were no longer available for people to see and appreciate. Actually seeing human remains reminds many people of the fact that real people lived, worked and died in the lansdscapes and that those landscapes have developed and changed thanks to people.

That's quite apart from the potential damage to a scheduled ancient monument if reburial goes ahead.

And in the nicest possible way, unless someone has a time machine they're not declaring, it seems very unlikely that anyone knows what respect and rituals are due for such a reburial.

So, I still disagree with the proposal. I think that the case of a need for reburial is not proved (noone knows what people believed or how they demonstrated that belief) and there is a clear case that reburial would both damage the physical monuments and potentially damage modern peoples understanding and appreciation of our ancestors. Clearly that's only my opinion, but isn't that the whole point of this discussion? It's peoples opinions.