The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Knee Pads! on Time Team - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Knee Pads! on Time Team (/showthread.php?tid=1348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Knee Pads! on Time Team - Oxbeast - 26th January 2009

I thought the whole point of self employment is that you have to sort these things out yourself, invisible man. Do they pay for the quite nice hotel, or does it come out of the ?70? (presumably not, or no money left at the end of the day). If they pay for it, they are getting people into the situation of recieving substantial taxable benefits.

I don't think that they are exempt from employment and health and safety law just because they are on the telly.

Knee Pads! on Time Team - chiz - 26th January 2009

Quote:quote:Originally posted by the invisible man

Plus full board at a quite nice hotel, lunch, elevenses and four o'clockses.

not when I worked for them. This whole attitude of 'well you get biscuits at tea break so we'll pay you less' really sucks! ?70 a day before deductions is abysmal pay as self employed. It is well below BAJR rates and is exploitation based on the fact that 'your mum will see you on telly'.
It is not a fair wage even as archaeology goes, never mind how many biscuits you get.
They have the money, profess to care about archaeologist's wages, so go walk the walk.

Knee Pads! on Time Team - monty - 26th January 2009

....well i wish i was on 70 quid a day !! im employed and its actually a just under that ...but i was getting 50 a day in 1992 as self employed which was a substantial amount back then.........

Knee Pads! on Time Team - monty - 26th January 2009

ps.........when i was a TT digger it was 40 quid a day...... but all that food and luxury accomm....i was well impressed !

It might be ok for a one-off 'jolly' on your day off from the unit when you aren't going to declare it, but....
?70 a day is ?350 a week, sounds great. But take off tax, NI, public liability etc insurance, holiday pay, bank holiday pay, pension subs, money for when you are sick, money for when you aren't working, tools, work clothes, accommodation, office costs like phone/office supplies, new cameras, accountant, car and MOT etc etc..... It is not a decent self-employed rate. I charge way more than double that. Day rates round here (London) are double that rate for diggers.
Ask David whether he thinks ?70 a day is a living wage as a self-employed archaeologist. Even ?100 a day is way too tight. Look at what day rates for illustrators are.

BTW I used to get ?50 a day back in 92 as an employee, plus hotel/B&B, and ?10 a night subs, and yes that was more than a lot of digging jobs then (in 90 I was earning ?6,800 p.a.), but early 90's immediately post PPG16 isn't really comparable to now. But again as a self-employed rate, even back then ?50 a day wasn't actually a lot compared to what you should have been paid.

Glad you like the biscuits though.

Quote:quote:Originally posted by monty

ps.........when i was a TT digger it was 40 quid a day...... but all that food and luxury accomm....i was well impressed !

that's the whole point isn't it, in a way. We've been so badly treated over the years that one sniff of a cooked lunch or a single room in a nice B&B and we roll over and wag our tails.

I'm not trying to have a pop at you Monty! it's just we do need to set our sights a bit higher than survival level wages if we think we have serious skills to offer, and ?70 a day is not enough.

Knee Pads! on Time Team - Oxbeast - 27th January 2009

These benefits are all pretty standard as employees, well not lunch maybe, and it depends on your definition of 'luxury' accommodation. I'ver stayed in some pretty nice places, and not had to worry about how much they are adding to my tax liability. Presumably you can offset your share of the catering budget against tax.

Should TT even be using self-employed people? I was under the impression that if you were self employed, you were effectively your own boss. That doesn't exactly fit with some TV producer telling you that we have to finish this trench by 4 as we're losing the light. Still, I suppose they'll never be short of diggers, even if they pay them in rich teas biscuits. I think they're missing a trick: they could be charging people to work for them Wink

Knee Pads! on Time Team - monty - 27th January 2009

well im amazed by that bob, 140 quid as a day rate for diggers is an absolutely massive amount, even for London. Is this for self employed diggers ? maybe this is a factor in the work drying up down that way ?????

Knee Pads! on Time Team - BAJR Host - 27th January 2009

Work for me... and I will feed you biscuits... no questions asked.

Perhaps a question for the Time Team themselves to be asked...

?When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend.?
William Blake

Knee Pads! on Time Team - monty - 27th January 2009

What rate are you offering !!!!...... i presume the biscuits will not classed as payment in kind !