The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
One small step for man.... - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: One small step for man.... (/showthread.php?tid=1902)

Pages: 1 2

One small step for man.... - trowelhead - 27th May 2005

Or One giant Leap for potential Project Manager Kind...

Is the transition from Project Officer to Project Manager a mighty leap or an easier number? I have met many an incompetent PM but also many good ones. Does being a PM suggest you have reached the zenith of the profession or just that you are pretty good at blagging interviews and wearing consistently spankingly clean Hi Vi`s so us lesser mortals can see you coming a mile off.

Indeed does anyone know of anybody who has leap frogged the PO bit altogether and blagged their way straight to PM....

I have also met a few County Mounties that would make you weep with their lack of knowledge.. How do these people reach these positions? How do they get through the interviews? How do they get selected for interview!!!! And on such a consistent basis....

We can but wonder..........[?]

One small step for man.... - mercenary - 27th May 2005

I'm always suspicious of types who want to make that leap, but have to admit not actually knowing anyone who has. There are plenty of opportunities to manage and do the whole range of activities as a PO, so why restrict the fun field side by becoming a PM? The only reason I can think of is complete decrepitude, which I fear will get us all eventually.

The transition I see all too frequently is the one to consultancy. Why do increasing numbers of us not want to contribute to the pool of knowledge, but would rather act as translators for developers?

One small step for man.... - the invisible man - 27th May 2005

Money? Security of a proper job?

Today, Bradford. Tomorrow, well, Bradford probably.

One small step for man.... - mercenary - 27th May 2005

I'm lucky enough to work for a unit where the money is close to what I could expect from a consultancy, and the security is certainly no worse. You can be let go at short notice from almost any job. Archaeology is not unique in that.

Why is archaeology not considered "a proper job"? I get the feeling that pay and conditions have been declining in many other industries, while Archaeology is actually improving. (slowly) Its not at all clear to me that the grass is greener elsewhere.

One small step for man.... - the invisible man - 27th May 2005

By "proper job" I mean a permanent position, PAYE, salary, annual paid holidays and so on, as opposed to self-employed short-term temporary contracts, with none of the above.

One small step for man.... - deepdigger - 28th May 2005

Ha! dream on, those things are very rare in archaeology!!

deep

One small step for man.... - the invisible man - 28th May 2005

Err, yes, that was the thrust of my point!

(BAJR, is it ok to thrust points on here?)

One small step for man.... - deepdigger - 28th May 2005

Thrusting ok i think, but parry ye not sir!!

deep

One small step for man.... - BAJR Host - 28th May 2005

thrusting is still allowable given the present fiscal climate.

Watch out for a little flurry of BAJR guidance docs... including the eagerly unwanted (er shurely awaited) Guide to Self employment in Archaeology... your rights!

Wink

One small step for man.... - troll - 28th May 2005

and for those of us still in chains on paye??Our rights sire?OOH, A Watt Tyler moment.......[8D]