The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Thornborough "debate" - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Thornborough "debate" (/showthread.php?tid=2060)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Thornborough "debate" - Hi Vis - 24th January 2006

Hi Venetius

glad to see you are back - I was hoping you might answer my question about the Friends of Thornborough press release I posted a couple of weeks ago - it all seemed to go a bit quiet after that. I look forward to your reply

Keep away from the light.....

Thornborough "debate" - Venutius - 24th January 2006

I am saying, if you don't know, and presumably you are an archaeologist, then it would be good to have that definition clarified.

It certainly seems there's been a lot of people ask the question and no-one with an answer other than "it depends".

Personally I am certain that the archaeology at Ladybridge is of national importance and with 1500 letters of objection so far, there's an awful lot of people that agree with me. But ultimately, it is Enlgish Heritage that the council say they will defer to, not me. They have said it is.

I prefer to offer comment on issues that concern me, not get drawn into discussing a press release that is not mine. Try the FoT forum.

Save the Thornborough Henge Complex - http://www.timewatch.org

Hi venetius

sorry I dont follow your first comment. On the issue of the FOT press release, considering your organisations earlier statements regarding the archaeologists and the additional work I think it is very relevant what your opinion and that of timewatch is. Why wont you state your opinion? Is there a problem?

Thornborough "debate" - Venutius - 24th January 2006

Nope, not a problem, just not a subject I'm interested in right now.

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Venutius

Nope, not a problem, just not a subject I'm interested in right now.

Dont you think it ironinc that the "Thornborough Debate" was started as a result of your public comments regarding the professionalism and integrity of the fieldworkers at Ladybridge Farm. Now we find that after saying that you have "moderated your stance" you are now refusing to pass judgement on an even more derogatory statement by another campaign group on the same subject. Am I to take it by your reluctance that in fact Timewatch hasn't changed its view on the professionalism and independance of the archaeologists at all?

Thornborough "debate" - Venutius - 26th January 2006

Glad you made it to eight posts Hi Vis, looking forward to number 9.

Thornborough "debate" - Hi Vis - 26th January 2006

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Venutius

Glad you made it to eight posts Hi Vis, looking forward to number 9.

Venutius

you arent exactly filling me with confidence. There are a lot of us out there who actually share your concerns about the Thronborough landscape but with a petty response like that to a serious concern, well enough said. What makes it worse, I suppose, is that according to your Thornborough Talk website you state that you didn't even visit the excavations when they were on. I find it difficult to see how you can then make claims regarding the standard of excavation and effects of the weather! Considering how important the site is I would have hoped that you, at least would have been out there monitoring the work and arguing your case.

As to the issue of how national importance is decided several people in this debate have already said how. If you dont know by now then how can you be asking other people to believe you?

Thornborough "debate" - BAJR Host - 26th January 2006

As Hi-Viz says.... reponses and answers to civil questions are better than clipped one liners.

Many of us do feel strongly about Thornbourgh. However - if there is any feeling that archaeolgists are not acting accordingly... then these allegations should be verified. If the methods of excavation/investigations are not carried out as per the guidelines (created by the IFA and available on the website in the standards and guidlines section - http://www.archaeologists.net/modules/icontent/index.php?page=15)

The Site Diary was a brilliant (and brave) piece of openess... nobody could fault Mike Griffiths for allowing a transparent view of daily work on the site. (As a by product it was also a fascinating document regarding the daily life of diggers!)

To suggest that the Thornbourgh Henges are important and significant is something that we can all (well mostly) agree on. To hint at soome form of dodgy shenannigans and archaeolgists working to the detriment of archaeology is another.

To ask whether or not this is the case is valid and perhaps desrves an answer rather than an avoidance. just to clear the matter up once and for all.

as a foot note... Mike Griffiths has not answered a request to return here.

I took from his post that it was suggested that he and Neil Campling worked together prior to him becoming a contractor and Neil becoming the Curator (Mikes old job) where was this allegation?

I have also talked to Neil on a few occasions and know him as a curator who works hard for archaeology within the usual council framework.. cetainly in my opinion a man of integrity

Another day another WSI?

Thornborough "debate" - Hi Vis - 26th January 2006

I believe the allegation was made in the press release by the Friends of Thornborough that is currently being avoided...

Thornborough "debate" - Pixie - 26th January 2006

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Hi Vis

I believe the allegation was made in the press release by the Friends of Thornborough that is currently being avoided...
Just a few observations from reading this thread.
Surely questions about a press release by Friends of Thornborough should be asked of them, not asked of a member of another organisation.
As for the archaeology, I thought everyone knew that this was not done in ideal conditions. Yes I know you can't have ideal conditions all the time. From some of the things I have read we are told the land was waterlogged, yet it is also reported as being sandy soil which is free draining. Many non-archaeolgical people would be most confused by statements like this.
I understand the members of Timewatch are spread throughout the country, how then are they supposed to take time out to visit a site in North Yorkshire. Do you know where any of them live?
You say you share the concerns about Thornborough but all you seem to do is attack Venutius. Surely if you do share these concerns you would be better giving Venutius information that could be used to help in the campaign. You read the website, as we all do no doubt. Have you shown your support in any tangible way?

P