The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Pay and Conditions - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Pay and Conditions (/showthread.php?tid=2390)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Pay and Conditions - RedEarth - 13th November 2009

A useful step might be for the IfA or a similarly appropriate body or bodies to go out to universities and give undergraduates a good idea of what to expect in the wonderful world of commercial archaeology, and, more importantly what to consider acceptable wages and working practices. Start early and it might make a difference, at least for those who go through uni. Have such schemes been tried?

Pay and Conditions - BAJR Host - 13th November 2009

This is indeed happening... and BAJR is one of them. There are also moves afoot to deal with other aspects that you suggest

Pay and Conditions - drpeterwardle - 13th November 2009

I think a touch of realism is needed. Times are hard. Anybody who thinks things were better before competitive tendering clearly did not experience it. Many more archaeologists have a half decent lifestyle thanks to it.

I have yet to see any archaeological firm charge out diggers at ?250 a day and any firm who tried charging this will out of business very quickly. The difference in pay and charge out rates is large - it is bound to be. There have been increased burdens placed upon the employer by the government, the IFA and bajr in terms of holidays and pensions for example. A rule of thumb is that the charge out rate should be at least twice as much as the wages.

The current 10% loss of jobs in archaeology is not as bad as it could be all things considered - it should be much much worse. I suspect many firms are employing people at a loss so they do not have to make more people redundant. In the circumstances any pay increase would be inappropriate. Simple choice pay more and make people redundant or pay less and have more people employed.

Peter Wardle

Pay and Conditions - kevin wooldridge - 13th November 2009

Regarding the suggestion that BAJRites should get out and tell it to students like it is.....I gave just such a talk at Cambridge Uni a couple of years back and did similar at Bradford even further back in the past. I know David has done similar and maybe even Troll once or twice. I did post a suggestion on the BAJRfed Students group that any students who feel that such a talk would be useful, only need to ask and I am sure that one or other of us 'more experienced' (OK elderly) BAJRites could probably be persuaded to perform....For my own personal gain it might cost you a packet of biscuits a train fare and a pint.....

Pay and Conditions - whinsill - 15th November 2009

On the course I did several years back, we got a talk from a chap who was working in commercial archaeology in London & whilst it didn't put me off going into the profession, it gave me a good idea of the pluses & minuses of the business. I also seem to remember my course convenor reckoning IfA membership was potentially handy.
I've been asked to do a talk early next year about the profession, which I hope will happen. If there's any points that people think it's worth me covering, give me a shout. I'll definately be getting them to check out Diggers Forum, IfA & BAJR for further info!

Pay and Conditions - BAJR Host - 15th November 2009

Good on ya

And yes IfA is handy... it should however be something that everyone sees as essential. I leave it there.

If you want anything from BAJR.. give us a bell. info@bajr.org

Pay and Conditions - oldgirl - 16th November 2009

Digging the dirt - I think others have expanded on it after me, and more eruditely than I might have. David's point about not working for people who pay badly is sort of the same I think (for example).

And I think I agree that we should be concentrating on keeping the good/experienced people in archaeology.

And finally, I do not wish to contradict the very experienced Dr Wardle, but I have indeed seen a number of projects where staff were charged out at ?250 per day or more. However, not necessarily for PIfA level responsibilities.

Pay and Conditions - squeejay - 17th November 2009

Not strictly on topic, but have people seen this from the Guardian?

"What do people get paid? The latest salary survey results" at http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/nov/12/pay-salaries-survey-ashe-ons

Archaeology isn't mentioned but the following are (to take a few):
horticultural trades ?16802
gardeners ?17677
foresty workers ?18591
archivists and curators ?27659
conservation and environemtnal protection ?27938.

If you take the IFA minimum PIFA pay then Field Archaeologists are nestled between childcare and receptionists and only 5 places above shelf filling.

Just an interesting thing to ponder? :face-crying:

Pay and Conditions - GnomeKing - 24th November 2009

interesting Squeejay....

need to also consider numbers of people needed for differnt jobs - ie fewer archivists and conservation proffesionals are needed than field workers for a excavtion...

Pay and Conditions - Ken - 25th November 2009

Don't need to consider it any more thankfully, am finally out of the need to rely on commercial archaeology for a living.