The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
Middle class idiots? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Middle class idiots? (/showthread.php?tid=3687)

Pages: 1 2 3

Middle class idiots? - Sith - 20th January 2011

I don't know if anyone has been following this in the papers over the last few days but I would be interested in your thoughts. Is this what we can expect once the 'big society' approach to planning is enabled through the localism bill?

Middle class idiots? - Steven - 20th January 2011

Sith Wrote:I don't know if anyone has been following this in the papers over the last few days but I would be interested in your thoughts. Is this what we can expect once the 'big society' approach to planning is enabled through the localism bill?

Hi
I think it will be "planning a' la Lynda Snell" :0

Middle class idiots? - troll - 20th January 2011

Big GrinOh dear Mister Clarke, engaging mouth before brain again. May I remind him that one of his own middle class idiots (Birmingham City Councillor Gareth Compton) recently publicly announced his desire to have a journalist stoned to death. Another staggeringly bright move was that of "Business Transformation Director" for Birmingham Council Glyn Evans who flew 12,000 miles to a luxury resort in New Zealand to give a 35 minute speech. Mister Clarke, you appear to be surrounded by them and the malaise is clearly infectious.
(The Rotten Borough Awards 2010, Private Eye, 20 Jan, 2011).

Middle class idiots? - kevin wooldridge - 20th January 2011

I've never really understood why 'planning' should be a political brief. I mean we acknowledge the expertise of doctors, the police, the judiciary, postmen, soldiers sailors and airmen, teachers (and their female equivalents) to be above the swill-stirring grasp of politicians, so why are planners not regarded the samel?

After all it seems to me (despite various editorials by the Daily Mail to the contrary) that most examples of bad urban planning are where politicians are involved and having had our collective fingers so badly burnt in the past 70 years shouldn't we be saying 'enough is enough' and taking such decisions out of the remit of the 'moat cleaners' and 'multiple mortgage claimants'.....

Middle class idiots? - deadlylampshade - 20th January 2011

Has echoes of the "Solihull Project" from Yes Minister!!:0

Middle class idiots? - Winders - 20th January 2011

Having worked as a town planner, a building conservation officer and as an archaeologist I can honestly say the job I was most wary of telling people about was that of a planner- you get pretty much blamed for everything by everybody.

Of course, if that Councillor made those comments about the scheme before it is formally heard by the planning committee, then there goes his chance of voting on the decision Smile

Middle class idiots? - Steven - 21st January 2011

kevin wooldridge Wrote:I've never really understood why 'planning' should be a political brief. I mean we acknowledge the expertise of doctors, the police, the judiciary, postmen, soldiers sailors and airmen, teachers (and their female equivalents) to be above the swill-stirring grasp of politicians, so why are planners not regarded the samel?

After all it seems to me (despite various editorials by the Daily Mail to the contrary) that most examples of bad urban planning are where politicians are involved and having had our collective fingers so badly burnt in the past 70 years shouldn't we be saying 'enough is enough' and taking such decisions out of the remit of the 'moat cleaners' and 'multiple mortgage claimants'.....

Hi
Planning is political because in determining the merits of a development there is often a conflict between benefits for one factor (or persons) and negative impacts on other factors (or people). This is the same with the police in that those factors are weighed up by politicians when they are passing legislation whilst the police enforce the legislation and so don't have to determine "balance". Doctors decisions normally impact on an individual not a community and so don't generally have to balance the benefits and negative impacts on different factors (or people). The armed forces again carry out policy through enforcement and don't decide on that policy, only on strategy to achieve the policy (like planners do when using delegated powers). Same with teachers.

Planning needs political input so that elected members of a community make decisions on behalf of that community as their representatives. They can then also delegate decisions when they only have minor impacts on factors, or people.

Middle class idiots? - Windbag - 21st January 2011

Good reply Steven.
I don't consider myself an autocrat, but I have to say that I like towns and cities with a strong archtitectural style dominating a wide area. I'm oversimplifying, but I really prefer Paris to London, Edinburgh's New Town to the bits and pieces development of Glasgow, or Saltaire to Bradford. London and Glasgow have interesting individual buildings and districts, but the overall effect of a planned settlement is something I find more appealing. The difficulty for me lies in the implications for how town planning is undertaken - at the moment, it's a balancing act that doesn't really satisfy anybody, whereas in the past their were individuals (aristocrats, landowners etc) who had the political leverage to force their vision on an entire city or town, regardless of public opinion or interest groups at the time.

Middle class idiots? - vulpes - 21st January 2011

I know, democracy sucks sometimes don't it :face-stir:

Middle class idiots? - Odinn - 21st January 2011

vulpes Wrote:I know, democracy sucks sometimes don't it
The problem with democracy is that nearly half of all those with a vote are of below-average intelligence.