The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
A handbook for new diggers? - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: A handbook for new diggers? (/showthread.php?tid=4412)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

A handbook for new diggers? - dambo - 3rd May 2012

I don't understand why Unitof1 has got such a bee in his/her bonnet over the use of laser scanning on our Sittingbourne site. I happen to be the Project Officer who directed the excavations at the former paper mill and together with my Project Manager and our very experienced and hard working digging staff, excavated and recorded the remains of the furnaces (and other features) in a professional manner and to the complete satisfaction of the Council officer overseeing the project. The use of the laser scanner was just ONE method employed in the recording of the features identified on the site. In addition to the scans, the structures and deposits were recorded in the form of hand drawn elevations and plans at scales of 1:10 and 1:20, a photographic record of virtually every brick, block of concrete, surface and surviving fixtures and fittings, sampling of residues and deposits and detailed paper record was produced using deposit, wall and cut Context Recording sheets. Parts of the structures were also dismantled and samples of the various bricks, blocks and other materials used in the construction of the structures were recovered.

The images etc posted on our website are just SOME of the results of the scanning. They are not the finished product and were posted as general information to inform people of ONE of the recording methods used during the project.

I believe that before people start criticising and slagging off the work we have done they should be in posession of all the facts or perhaps, they should just mind their own bl**dy business!!

A handbook for new diggers? - Unitof1 - 3rd May 2012

I dont think that I slagged off the work that you done. An image from some imaging techniques was presented in this forum as an archaeological record. I just pointed out that to me it wasnt with the worry that others might be fooled into thinking that it was.

Now you have answered the worry and that the site was excavted with high standard archaeological proceedures. I presume that these generated the usual context and graphic sheets which is what us archaeologists do. They tend not to present prettily to the wonderous public and apparently many real archaeologists worry about this for some odd reason. I dont find it much of a concern as that is not my primary archaeological aim being a self employed commercial archaeologist. I imagine that you work for a "trust" and probably dont share some of my basic instincts but exist TO PROMOTE THE ADVANCEMENT OF PUBLIC EDUCATION IN THE SUBJECT OF ARCHAEOLOGY which puts a very heavy responsibility on what you have to squeeze out of what you can earn off an archaeological site.
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/SIR/ENDS61/0000278861_SIR_20110331_E.PDF

just out of interest has the canterbury archaeological trust got a VAT registration number?

A handbook for new diggers? - Ken Denham - 4th May 2012

Are you real Unit of One? Just got back on here and read through the thread. I hope your statements are made in a satyrical manner,
perhaps to provoke discussion. Otherwise (in my opinion) you're not mentally or morally fit to be undertaking archaeology in a professional capacity.

A handbook for new diggers? - Unitof1 - 4th May 2012

any thoughts on digging with your back to the sun?

A handbook for new diggers? - Ken Denham - 4th May 2012

Not really, doesn't really affect me, I don't live in Nigeria.

A handbook for new diggers? - Kel - 5th May 2012

(Wow Ken - this "Ignore" thing's fab! I just halved my blood pressure in 5 seconds flat! Give it a go! It's like the electronic version of putting your fingers in your ears and going lalalalacan'thearyou.) :face-approve:

A handbook for new diggers? - P Prentice - 9th May 2012

Martin Locock Wrote:I am thinking of compiling a handbook for those starting in archaeology discussing practical questions about excavation, employment law, CPD and job applications, etc.

Two questions for the forum:

what books already exist that cover this area?

what topics should be covered?

I like the BAJR 101 tips ebook but was thinking of something more substantial.

i dont think the book is a particularly good idea but i guess you could make a few quid.
i dont think we need a load of amateurs to start digging up sites thinking they can do a perfectly good job because they read a book and new professionals should be learning the ropes from experienced professionals.
a book about being a self employed archaeologist would be more use in todays market, one that laid out the pros and cons of unionisation, the ifa, vat registration and legitimate tax avoidance schemes
an online version could name and shame bad employers and probably garner a little income by selling trowels:face-approve:

A handbook for new diggers? - BAJR - 9th May 2012

Quote:an online version could name and shame bad employers and probably garner a little income by selling trowels

What like these ones?

Only ?8.33 ex Vat
http://www.pasthorizons.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=352_35&product_id=101

cough...er... anyway

Quote:New professionals should be learning the ropes from experienced professionals.
quite right, and this gets you started. add in the CPD element and the skills then this is a book for professionals...
I hope

A handbook for new diggers? - BAJR - 9th May 2012

Though I think it would be good to have this:
Quote:a book about being a self employed archaeologist would be more use in todays market, one that laid out the pros and cons of unionisation, the ifa, vat registration and legitimate tax avoidance schemes
an online version could name and shame bad

A handbook for new diggers? - Unitof1 - 9th May 2012

8.33 ex vat

whats that mean

I have to be vat registered and zero rated?