The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
The School of Jack - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The School of Jack (/showthread.php?tid=4991)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

The School of Jack - Dinosaur - 27th June 2013

You'd think the advent of digital cameras with little screens on the back to show you the end product in advance rather than 2 weeks after the site's been backfilled (marvellous things!) would have improved matters, but if anything matters seem to be getting worse. On the up-side, it's now possible to disappear into the cabin with the digicam for a quick review and lots of private swearing, and then head back out to cautiously negotiate how perhaps the whole thing could have been done better if the photographer had tried this, this and this...and oh look, I seem to have accidentally taken some decent shots while suggesting all that... Bring back site photographers, they don't all have to be at the same standard as the likes of Mick Sharp (I couldn't handle the 2hrs being posed for 'working' shots at my age, but then again every exposure was publication standard), but at least we'd get some useable report pics

The School of Jack - Unitof1 - 27th June 2013

I think that you should be able to record a site without haveing to take any pictures

The School of Jack - P Prentice - 27th June 2013

Dinosaur Wrote:You'd think the advent of digital cameras with little screens on the back to show you the end product in advance rather than 2 weeks after the site's been backfilled (marvellous things!) would have improved matters, but if anything matters seem to be getting worse. On the up-side, it's now possible to disappear into the cabin with the digicam for a quick review and lots of private swearing, and then head back out to cautiously negotiate how perhaps the whole thing could have been done better if the photographer had tried this, this and this...and oh look, I seem to have accidentally taken some decent shots while suggesting all that... Bring back site photographers, they don't all have to be at the same standard as the likes of Mick Sharp (I couldn't handle the 2hrs being posed for 'working' shots at my age, but then again every exposure was publication standard), but at least we'd get some useable report pics

just shoot the person responsible for training and standards and get somebody who can lead a team. who is that on your sites?

The School of Jack - Wax - 27th June 2013

Photography is an art (as is archaeology) You can be a whizz with the technology and still produce awful pics. get someone with that bit of artistic flair and your site can look like something out of a magazine.

I think finding the edges of contexts is also an art, you can teach the techniques but it needs a little bit of something extra to truely get it. There are those who can do it and those who cannot. It sometimes baffles me why others cannot see the changes in texture and colour that I can (though some might say I see things that arnt there).

The School of Jack - Dinosaur - 27th June 2013

P Prentice Wrote:just shoot the person responsible for training and standards and get somebody who can lead a team. who is that on your sites?

I'd suggest that those persons at other units who had the personnel previously for years before they arrived here with long CVs, the tag 'experienced' and glowing references may to some extent be responsible for their apparent total lack of knowledge of the basics in almost all areas of sitework? If I was taking 'inexperienced' staff it'd be fair enough, but the ones with balls enough to claim to be experienced and have years of CV at major excavation units, and are expecting to get paid, should at least have some idea how to use a trowel, or, in this case, that 1/1000sec probably isn't an appropriate shutter speed for most archaeological photography (amazing how often you find site cameras on settings like that). On that basis, no, actually, I've got better things to do (like getting to the archaeology before they can make a total b****-up of it), followed by a recommendation they don't get employed here again. Same pretty much applies to people who need their hands holding...

Too right-wing? :0}Smile

No objection to training people how to do new things though, do that quite often thanks :face-approve:

The School of Jack - kevin wooldridge - 27th June 2013

.....with the widespread use of digital cameras, I have for a long time failed to see the point of the number board messing up site photos. Surely it takes no longer just to enter the requisite metadata directly into the camera stead of messing about etc etc.

The School of Jack - Dinosaur - 28th June 2013

In a world where turn it on, point and press is stretching the technical capabilities of many of the workforce (and a biro and a piece of paper, for that matter), I think that'd be asking for trouble?

The School of Jack - Unitof1 - 28th June 2013

why cant you record a site without phoitography?

The School of Jack - P Prentice - 28th June 2013

Dinosaur Wrote:I'd suggest that those persons at other units who had the personnel previously for years before they arrived here with long CVs, the tag 'experienced' and glowing references may to some extent be responsible for their apparent total lack of knowledge of the basics in almost all areas of sitework? If I was taking 'inexperienced' staff it'd be fair enough, but the ones with balls enough to claim to be experienced and have years of CV at major excavation units, and are expecting to get paid, should at least have some idea how to use a trowel, or, in this case, that 1/1000sec probably isn't an appropriate shutter speed for most archaeological photography (amazing how often you find site cameras on settings like that). On that basis, no, actually, I've got better things to do (like getting to the archaeology before they can make a total b****-up of it), followed by a recommendation they don't get employed here again. Same pretty much applies to people who need their hands holding...

Too right-wing? :0}Smile

No objection to training people how to do new things though, do that quite often thanks :face-approve:

you get what you pay for

The School of Jack - Dinosaur - 28th June 2013

You been having similar problems too then?