The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 801 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 866 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 751 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 431 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 187 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 179 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 820 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 801 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 820 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... (/showthread.php?tid=5226)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - Sikelgaita - 26th February 2014

kevin wooldridge Wrote:My preference would be for a probationary period (irrespective of your IfA grade) of at least 3 years (so no-one can go from nothing to Chartered in one membership leap), testified achievement for that period, and a formally constructed dissertation/exam at the end of the period and before Chartered membership is bestowed.

Academic excellence does not and should not equate to being a good field archaeologist. This will just reinforce the elitist 'us and them' perception of the IfA. Will my employer provide me time to write my dissertation or revise for the exams, I doubt it. More likely it will be in my own time, I love archaeology but I also value my free time more.

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - Mike.T. - 26th February 2014

Me too. Such a move would also discriminate against illiterate Archaeologists.

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - kevin wooldridge - 26th February 2014

Sikelgaita Wrote:Academic excellence does not and should not equate to being a good field archaeologist. This will just reinforce the elitist 'us and them' perception of the IfA. Will my employer provide me time to write my dissertation or revise for the exams, I doubt it. More likely it will be in my own time, I love archaeology but I also value my free time more.
I'd be happy to consider any alternative method that verified Chartered status, but I think one of the big mistakes of the nascent IfA was to allow self-certification for the first 200 members or so. It seems to me that for the new CIfA to have any creditbility it cannot allow either self certification or direct transfer of current members. I personally think there has to be some kind of test, but I'd be open to considering a way of making that 'non-academic' for those that don't thrive in that kind of situation. Perhaps a questionnaire and an interview as the Irish licence system used to employ...not that everyone was ever pleased with that system!! As for your employer...I am sure that one of the requirements of RAO status if Chartered membership comes in, would be to allow staff to study towards Chartered status. I am not sure that it could be compelled for non-RAOs....

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - ken_whittaker - 26th February 2014

kevin wooldridge Wrote:My point Ken was (ignoring the long term unspecific aims of the former IfA) that a Chartered body by itself was unable to impose or engineer a closed shop on the profession. If the CIfA wish to make membership essential by 2020 (and they are fast running out of time) they will need to promote a bill to Parliament that introduces either the concept of licencing, or compulsory membership or effectively a ban on all forms of archaeological activity other than that undertaken by members, In my opinion they have as much chance as the TUC would have in promoting a bill calling on compulsory Trade Union membership. That doesn't mean I think its a bad idea, but in the real world and in our profession I don't think it will happen.

May be we can agree that it is a good time for the Institute to abandon such futile policies, as this simply undermines the credibility of the Institute....ironic given the apperent purpose of Chartership. It would be great to see energy devoted to challenging the narrow self interest that is evident within the corporate membership and the executive.....but that would require leadership qualities that are not so evident.

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - P Prentice - 26th February 2014

is it not a good thing that the institute is aspirational?

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - Dinosaur - 26th February 2014

to what? ...other than a closed shop, that is...

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - Tool - 26th February 2014

Gotta say that, in light of what has been said above, my stance has moved slightly from Don't Really Care to Slightly Worried. From all I've see, the phrases 'Ivory Tower', 'Monopoly', 'Self-interest', and 'Really Don't Have a Clue How to Best Serve Archaeology or Archaeologists, But Have Wangled Themselves in to a Position That Could be Very Dangerous to the Profession' spring to mind. Sorry Kevin, I did try!

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - BAJR - 26th February 2014

Mike.T. Wrote:Such a move would also discriminate against illiterate Archaeologists.

That made my day

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - Sikelgaita - 27th February 2014

kevin wooldridge Wrote:...I am sure that one of the requirements of RAO status if Chartered membership comes in, would be to allow staff to study towards Chartered status. I am not sure that it could be compelled for non-RAOs....
Excavator on four week contract with new employer. As their CIfA dissertation is due in 4 weeks, asks employer if they can have 2 days study leave. What do you think the employers reaction will be? Maybe not renewing the excavators contract. It would work for permanent employees, but for those on temporary contracts, I don't see how, requirement of RAO status or not.

IfA to be abolished and replaced by...... - pdurdin - 27th February 2014

kevin wooldridge Wrote:... for the new CIfA to have any creditbility it cannot allow either self certification or direct transfer of current members.
For sure. However, if current members cannot transfer their status or self-certify under the new system, who will certify them? Will it not just result in a "you certify me, I'll certify you" situation? Even if some sort of standard is agreed on by the membership as a whole, who is going to be signing off to say such-and-such a member is certified (or certifiable: your mileage may vary)?

It seems the archaeological world is plagued with both a lack of authority and a distrust of authority (both for very good reasons).