The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

BAJR Federation Archaeology
antiquarianism is alive and well. - Printable Version

+- BAJR Federation Archaeology (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk)
+-- Forum: BAJR Federation Forums (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Site Hut (http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: antiquarianism is alive and well. (/showthread.php?tid=559)

Pages: 1 2 3

antiquarianism is alive and well. - Taverna Cat - 27th May 2007

Morning from Greece...

Can I just say that I do not, in any way, shape or form, advocate the use of crappy methodology just so we don't look patronising in foreign countries. I just object to the presumption that we Brits - and only we Brits - know how to excavate 'properly' and that we need to take our crusade to the clueless foreign natives. I personally have no intention of adopting crappy methodology any time soon. I excavate the way I understand and with methodologies which work best for the site in question.

And...

[u]4. Greek style ‘give it all one context number and hope for the best’ (or so we are led to believe by TC).</u>

.... it's the Americans in the Athenian Agora who do this, not the Greeks. Each trench/area/locus is given a context number on a weekly basis and the material removed in buckets during that week, all bear this number. Supervisors make their observations in notebooks.

Anyhow, I'm off for some Greek coffe, followed by a trip to the DIY store for a new trowel...

[8D]

antiquarianism is alive and well. - Taverna Cat - 29th May 2007

I seem to have stunned you all into silence/shock at the horror of weekly contexts..?!

:face-huh:

antiquarianism is alive and well. - Smaze - 29th May 2007

Not stunned, but very intrigued about weekly contexts, only the Americans could surley dream that up, yet it sort of reminds me of when i was literaly given a trench plan on the back of a fag packet, showing the proposed trench location, tied in by three trees and told to located, (the location just happen to be in the middle of a wood), by a very a high up director of the BM.

antiquarianism is alive and well. - Matthew Ginnever - 29th May 2007

I was once given a couple of empty fag packets to use as small finds containers. As 'student labour' I was kept out of such tiresome duties as recording, so im not entirely sure how contexts and planning were worked out on site, but I do know I never filled a context sheet in once. I was also told by the director that "archaeology has no intellectual integrety'. An odd thing for a professor in the same subject to say

antiquarianism is alive and well. - troll - 30th May 2007

Not stunned either I`m afraid-neither am I surprised anymoreBig Grin

..knowledge without action is insanity and action without knowledge is vanity..(imam ghazali,ayyuhal-walad)

antiquarianism is alive and well. - Beardstroker - 31st May 2007

Hmmm. And to think this morning we were all griping about the fact that my units recording system hasn't really been updated much, since about 1994.

Things could be a great deal worse, I suppose.:face-huh: