The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thornborough "debate"
The farmer.

Save the Thornborough Henge Complex - http://www.timewatch.org
Quote:quote:Originally posted by Venutius

The farmer.

I think Mike Heyworth's(CBA)words say it all

It would be a hollow victory if we fought off the quarry only to find the site ploughed out and the archaeological knowledge lost for ever.

seems to me that is a distinct possibility.

Grubby

Once again we hear 'It is about features being "roughly dug"'

I am sick and tired of being accused of shoddy work.

1. The work was of the highest standard and was totally transparent and this can be measured and proved.

2.The area around the Henges is of National Importance when added to the data from all similar sites. So all similar sites collectively are of National and International Importance.

3.The area around it should be Scheduled even if it means EH falling out with their friends in the NFU by arguing for it.

4.If it continues to be ploughed any archaeology will be gone in less than 20 years.

5. Because humans have always altered the landscape and will continue to do so (despite what ever laws we could bring in now in 2006),and given the depth of the features, any chance to excavate as much of the archaeology in the area surrounding the Henges should be taken now. In situ preservation being fine if you are laying concrete over something, but useless here as it is unlikely that magical robots who can see Neolithic pits underground and analyse artefacts and organic remains will be invented before its all destroyed.

6.The Henges themselves are quite fragile and any ill-conceived tourism will quickly damage them.

7. I bet the people who built the Henges would have been pleased with all the fuss since their designs and activities continue to enthrall us as we continue to worship at the Henges of The Three Breasted Northern Ice Queen! DON'T BELIEVE THE ORIONS BELT HERETICSSmile

Arthus
So your argument is this: So long as the developer can show the archaeology is being damaged, then a development should be allowed to go ahead regardless of its importance.

Quote:quote:Originally posted by Venutius

So your argument is this: So long as the developer can show the archaeology is being damaged, then a development should be allowed to go ahead regardless of its importance.

As I see it, outside the development process - knowing that the archaeology on the site is going to be destroyed what are you going to do about it?
Quote:quote:Originally posted by Hi Vis
As I see it, outside the development process - knowing that the archaeology on the site is going to be destroyed what are you going to do about it?

As I see it, there are plenty of people who realise the importance of the Ladybridge site on this forum, what are we all going to do about it?
Do we expect the campaign groups to do all the work. Have you written letters to the press and government about it?
The campaign group are working hard but can only do so much in the time, we could help with some of that work.

P
What I may suggest is a basic template letter that can be added to for people.... now I am not saying we are lazy Wink

If one could be put together I can host it on BAJR for people to download.. add to to etc.... and perhaps a list of useful people and the adressses (excluding your own MPs ) that it could be sent to.

... cheers for the prod PixieWink

Another day another WSI?
As I understand it, [u]nothing</u> can be done to stop the farmer ploughing if he wishes to continue. So any campaign will have to be for a change in the law. I don't know how likely such a change would be, but I would gladly support the campaign. If the appeal is turned down, then that will be the only way to stop the pits at Ladybridge disappearing without trace...
Venutius.

I think you perhaps are assuming something about me because it is apparent that I?m an archaeologist who has worked at the Henges.

Is it possible that you have pigeonholed me and assumed that I have such opinions because you view me as the enemy?

If so, it is interesting to be a victim of such prejudice.

Where in any of my postings did I argue or suggest,

?that So long as the developer can show the archaeology is being damaged, then a development should be allowed to go ahead regardless of its importance??

Once you have re-read my postings. I await your reply.

Arthus
If there is to be a campaign for a change in the law (bearing in mind that PPG16 is not law, as such), what law will the campaign aim to change, and what is the change being proposed?

As I see it, to coin a phrase, we would need legislation to prohibit ploughing or other detrimental activities to or on areas with known archaeological remains.

Would there be an extension to PPG16 in effect, to include agricuture as development, thus requiring farmers to apply for permmission to plough? Would such an application be considered in the same way as a planning application, i.e. you might still get mitigation or "preservation by record?"

Or are you suggesting that class consents for scheduled monuments are abolished/amended? In which case only scheduled monuments are protected and we're back to square one, unless we schedule everything - then nothing ever gets built or ploughed.

Certainly the present arrangement could do with re-thinking but I see a number of questions to be resolved!

We owe the dead nothing but the truth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Researchers call for debate on underwater cultural heritage BAJR 2 2,958 1st December 2013, 07:58 PM
Last Post: kevin wooldridge
  IfA Minima Debate - THE RESULT BAJR 112 58,890 11th February 2013, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Unitof1
  DIGGERS CHARTER DEBATE BAJR 71 40,169 3rd October 2010, 07:09 PM
Last Post: deadlylampshade
  No srsly Commercial Archaeology Sucks The debate thread mididoctors 24 18,253 21st March 2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: GnomeKing
  Thornborough Henge/Ladybridge excavations restart BAJR Host 1 1,817 6th December 2009, 08:21 PM
Last Post: BAJR Host
  Training at Uni debate BAJR Host 16 10,916 21st December 2008, 07:28 PM
Last Post: the invisible man
  PAS debate BAJR Host 3 3,505 7th March 2008, 09:42 PM
  Archaeology of the Thornborough Area website BAJR Host 7 7,545 9th December 2007, 02:09 PM
Last Post: freelance
  Help BAJR and the PAS at Thornborough BAJR Host 98 70,399 12th September 2006, 09:01 PM
  Urgent for Thornborough archae_logical 46 25,444 21st September 2005, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Venutius