The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DBA, method statement, project design
Posted by Unit of 1:
Quote:quote:See it rather as 1 in 40 developments get a condition- therefore without further research a developer has a 1 in 40 likelihood of a condition.
Leaving aside the weaknesses of that particular statistic, it sounds like a good argument for a DBA - which provides the 'further research' advocated by Mr Unit.

Quote:quote:I think consultants really like trenches as a baseline, I think that they like making out that they are really expensive.
I'm a consultant, and I love trenches. I'd love them to be cheap, because I could get more of them done. Unfortunately, I don't need to 'make out' that they are expensive - they are expensive.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished
Posted by Unit of 1:
Quote:quote:In Mr mans world the dba is not done by the archaeologist at the pointy end –period. In 1mans world (engineering-solution to everything = build) he has 11 “archaeologists” and their job is to go to public inquires- no trowel required. And little by little the concept of an archaeologist is being sliced into ever smaller disparate pieces, pieces- apparently all in conflicts of interest- so example we are now quite happily advertise for post ex-teams and allow post ex go to tender.
An 'engineering solution' quite often means 'build somewhere else', 'build less' or 'don't build at all', the point being to reduce the damage done to archaeology. The implication of your post is that we should never challenge the engineering proposal; instead, you imply, we should say 'goody - they are going to build on an archaeological site, what a good chance to dig it up'.

The whole point of my attitude to DBAs is to avoid conflicts of interest, either real or percieved. Automatically including the DBA with the fieldwork contract creates a conflict of interest.

On the post-ex, we are probably in agreement - I would always be very unhappy about separating a post-ex contract from a fieldwork one, because the final report should preferably always be written by the person who led the fieldwork.

Quote:quote:Hosty I suspect that for trenches to do the finding on their own somewhere around 20% coverage, might be more, is required. I think that archaeologists have a lot more work to do on this, particularly feed back in the field. You see a lot of grid patterns which were presumably agreed by the system and then the poor unfortunate goes out and does them. What I would like to see are the people in the field plying some theories and reacting to the outcomes of their observations-topographic, geomorphological, experience, one last one for luck . In as much as gephiz has been mentioned there’s space for augur surveys, micromorph and lidar is getting interesting. it all should be seen a s aid for trenching
There is a measure of agreement here as well - I strongly advocate getting as much information as possible from DBA and non-intrusive work before (a) deciding to do trenching or (b) designing the trench layout. A well-designed trenching programme, targeted using the best available information, can usually achieve much better results than twice the quantity of trenching laid out randomly or on a grid.
Where trenching is necessary, we are very rarely, if ever, going to be able to do 20% samples, as you advocate; so it is particularly important to make the most efficient use possible of the trenching that we can do.

1man1desk

to let, fully furnished
I also have had enough of this and Unit of One.

I will make a statement later tonight on return home.

It is interesting that someone who can be coherent in reports can make such incoherent posts which in the end force people who wish to discuss leave either the forum or cease posting.

Until such times as I am able to post... I will be locking this thread... frankly I have had it up to here.

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu
I think enough is enough
Ive been avidly reading these posts and admire the many who have tried to respond but its not really going anywhere. One thing it has done is unite everyone - field archs, curators and consultants (and anyone else) - we all have differences of opinion and strong opinions about different sectors of the profession but this sort of attitude and approach is not something ive ever come across before in 15 years of professional practice as both field arch and consultant

1 man is quite right - advocating 'jobs for the boys' really doesnt work and is damaging to the profession in so many ways. Assuming we all want the same thing for archaeology - better conditions/recognition/salaries/removal of dodgy practice etc etc then Unit of 1 im afraid your off the mark (in my opinion which is as valid as yours) - you are (if I am reading your posts correctly - apologies if not) avocating digging up everything to see if there is any archaeology there??????[?]

And as a consultant im with 1 man - i love trenches, love juicy archaeology - and will always push for the 'right' approach to protect archaeology from impact (whatever that may be) I have many clients who have absolutely no problem with the archaeological process whether it be DBA, geophysics, evalaution or whatever - I manage risk for them and to define risk there is as Troll quite rightly says a paper trail which should be adhered to and followed

So Mr Hosty over to you

A trowel is a thing to lust for!
I have taken the decision to act. Please see the post on Unit 1 Ban

"No job worth doing was ever done on time or under budget.."
Khufu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English Heritage issues revised statement on portable antiquities and surface collect BAJR 8 6,381 28th January 2014, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Jack
  The EC funded project "ArchaeoLandscapes Europe" ARCLAND John Wells 1 2,035 19th May 2013, 04:29 PM
Last Post: John Wells
  Watershed Landscape Project BAJR 1 2,092 10th April 2013, 11:48 AM
Last Post: BAJR
  Bamburgh Research Project needs your support BAJR 1 2,000 9th April 2013, 09:01 PM
  The Portable Antiquities Scheme announces ?150K research project to study its databas BAJR 9 8,770 17th April 2012, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Unitof1
  Roman DNA project gives voice to the silent majority BAJR 1 1,956 18th November 2011, 09:42 AM
  IfA statement on PPS5 Planning BAJR 20 13,500 16th September 2011, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dinosaur
  3 places available on Field Training project BAJR 3 3,848 29th June 2011, 07:33 PM
Last Post: kevin wooldridge
  Consultants sought for Curatorial Standards and guidance project BAJR 94 48,604 8th June 2011, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Sith
  Can you help our amazing project with a click and a text? Please Read! romanfort 7 5,530 6th June 2011, 12:16 AM
Last Post: mpoole