The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 909 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 909 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5010 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5010 errorHandler->error
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7045 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5030 is_member
/global.php 909 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1938 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1938 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7045 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 837 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 1081 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1081 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One small step for man....
Good luck in your new post!

Being a good PM is tricky. You have to balance a lot of things.

Some things I learned when I was one:
1. some consultants are shysters and evil. And a quiet call to the county mountie may be a good option. But sometimes hold your cards - knowledge is power. Pick your battles.
2. always listen to your staff.
3. if in charge of staffing, try to make it easy for people. they will thank you in the long run, especially if they have to travel less far, or have better accomodation. same goes for motivation, and not working in really bad weather, and letting them see the relevent documentation
4. get to know your plant contractor - sometimes you get wicked deals
5. curators appreciate forewarning
6. if you have to lay off staff, do it in person and never make the supervisor do it on your behalf. Makes you look like a weasel, and makes the other PMs who do it look like really big weasels.
7. bring eveyone doughnuts if you're doing a site visit on a Friday.

and the most important, remember what it was like to be a digger on a really crap site, and don't let it happen on your watch.

And have fun![:p]
Hi all!

I made the jump from PO to PM 3 years ago, although to be honest it was more like a jump to company manager as I had to run pretty much every aspect of a fair sized archaeology unit. Was given no training whatsoever and found it to be a completely different job to project officer position (and also NOT what I had gone into archaeology for!).

Over the 3 years I found that I was becoming more and more driven to make the company a commercial success, and to expand its operations and skills base. By now I had totally lost sight of why I was in archaeology and was (as everyone else seems to be!) rather disgruntled.

I suddenly had the opportunity to direct a very nice wetland excavation late last year - well I argued with the owner of the company that I was the only one able to do it!Big Grin He would only allow me to attend the site every other day though, and continuously gave clients my mobile number to ring me on site to deal with problems!!

During the work I remembered the buzz I used to get trying to work out what the hell was going on on a site, and the fun it could be working with other like-minded people on site. I also realised that if I stayed where I was I would NEVER get the opportunity to experience it again.

Sooo, when we completed the excavation I immediately handed in my resignation!

Now I have set up my own company that is less driven by money. Yes the commercial stuff pays the bills, however I want it to also pay for me to start researching some of my interests (LBA social economics, IA burial traditions around the Humber area, Arras style burials in Lincolnshire, for a start). I am also looking to start a few community-based projects, and am probably going to supervise a training excavation for a local heritage company this summer.

I realise that some companies do have an interest in research and community work, however they seem few and far between. Most seem to be driven to just making money which can leave the office staff feeling very jaded and bored with their lot in life Sad

People need stimulation and the chance to exercise their brains!
Woohoo! good luck Moby mate, at last someone who's gone into buisness without money being the be all and end all of it!!

deep

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thursday 4th July, Worcester: Remote sensing from small unmanned aerial systems John Wells 1 1,817 25th March 2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: John Wells
  Timelpase of a small excavation in Estonia.. BAJR Host 1 1,411 6th June 2009, 06:55 PM
Last Post: BAJR Host
  Small scale 'community' digging gorilla 14 7,879 15th January 2009, 03:11 PM
  What is the definition of a small find flashdigger 14 9,155 1st February 2006, 03:13 AM
Last Post: deepdigger
  Small Ads and Terms and Conditions drpeterwardle 10 6,154 7th October 2005, 07:32 PM